125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Outliers – Kimberly McCreight

The Outliers – Kimberly McCreightThe Outliers by Kimberly McCreight
Published by Harper Collins on May 3, 2016

The Outliers by Kimberly McCreight was a mismash. The author has some great writing skills and some not so good story telling skills. A girl who is afraid to leave her house leaves by deep breathing and closing her eyes. A boy she doesn’t trust becomes her ally almost instantly. When shit starts going south they don’t, I don’t know tell an adult or the police that their friend has been kidnapped, they decide to save her themselves. It was kindof a mess.

I am going to start with the best first. The writing of Kimberly McCreight was great. Super detailed and full of some really good descriptions, she wrote some great lines. Unfortunately the plot of The Outliers was ridiculous. Full of unnecessary twists and turns and some just odd decisions it was difficult to make sense of what was happening at times. The pacing had some issues with trying to push a lot of action into a scene so that the time seemed to pass in an odd manner. The world built was shaky. There was very little build up to certain key parts and way too much detail on other items. There was very little balance. The emotions were also all over the map. You were supposed to feel tension and fear for these teens on their mysterious mission but really I just felt confused as to what they were doing. The characters were odd. There are certain things that a normal person would do in a situation, and they strove to do the exact opposite at all times. I know this is fiction, but seriously they should have a bit of common sense.

I understand that The Outliers is fiction and not true to life, but good lord, these kids were just ridiculous. I really did like the way Kimberly McCreight put her sentences together but not the story they were set in. A super shocking plot point was very obvious and I just never truly connected with the characters. Now, I will not seek out the rest in this series as ugh, but I would be open to reading another of her books as long as the plot is vastly different.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-outliers-kimberly-mccreight