125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Last Good Girl – Allison Leotta

The Last Good Girl – Allison LeottaThe Last Good Girl by Allison Leotta
Published by Touchstone on May 3, 2016

I don’t generally like getting into a series at any point after book one. I like to have a grounding in the character and the history of them. I was unaware that The Last Good Girl was part of a series when I requested it. I loved the synopsis and was intrigued on how the story would play out and did not look to see what else the author had done. I can happily say that I was not disappointed by Allison Leotta and her series, even though I came in at number five.

The plot of The Last Good Girl was very much a Law and Order type “from the headlines” story. It worked well as I think everyone is familiar with the very public cases of rape on college campuses from the last few years. The writing of Allison Leotta was, for the most part, gripping. When she spoke of the characters, their emotions and feelings, it was as if I was there with them. unfortunately a few procedural parts were very dry and I would find myself skimming past them. The pacing was very fast and constantly rolled forward. There were a few less than perfect spots where the action bounced around but they did not distract from the whole. The world built was vast. I was a little lost at some points as I think most of the build-up was done in the previous books, but I was able to catch up quickly. The characters were an area I had some trouble with. Since this is book five, the recurring faces were nit well introduced and I had to guess a bit at their connections. The new characters were very well developed, but for the most part unlikable, but they were supposed to be so it was fine. The emotions were great. Between the main story line of the girl who was assaulted and Anna and her sisters love lives, it packed some real depth in.

While I was confused by some of the details in the book, as they came from books one through four, I still very much enjoyed the read. The Last Good Girl was twisty and deep and kept my attention the entire read. Allison Leotta has crafted a vast and interesting world in her Anna Curtis series and I am now going to go back and find the others as I really want to know what happened to bring Anna and those around her to this point. Sometimes jumping into the middle works and sometimes it doesn’t and this is one where the majority of the read was successful as Anna was such a strong character and the plot worked well as a standalone.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-last-good-girl-allison-leotta