125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Girls on Fire – Robin Wasserman

Girls on Fire – Robin WassermanGirls on Fire by Robin Wasserman
Published by Harper on May 17, 2016

Oh dear god yes. This book brought back all of the angst of high school, toxic friendships, lies compounding lies, a social stratus that defines all and so much more. Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman is a book about teenagers that is not a YA in the best way. Dark and even sinister at points, it shows how deeply a person will go when they are truly obsessed with another.

The plot of Girls on Fire reminded me of the best of the dark parts of Heathers andJawbreaker with a smattering of Mean Girls thrown in. Hannah gets so wrapped up in the friendship of Lacey that she will literally change everything about her self including her name and the downward spiral is a delight in an almost perverse way. Robin Wasserman wrote a tale of friendship that surpasses the ordinary. She had a lyrical way of phrasing that made even the awful parts intriguing. The pacing had a few issues where I felt it jumped too much but it was quickly brought back down and did not detract from the read as a whole. The world built was rich and I got a great image of each of the scenes. There were plenty of emotions  in the book, most of them very deep. This was such a nuanced ride, that even some of the scenery played a role. I loved the two main characters. They were each attempting to alter themselves in different ways and relied on the other to make them whole. I did not care for any of the parents, and one plot line with Hannah’s father was really not necessary and did detract from some of the overall story.

Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman brought me back to my teen years where I had a friend very similar to Lacey. She ran the show and we were all her puppets; dressing like her, listening to the same bands, ganging up on whoever she declared not cool for the week. I read this book and it made me anxious and uncomfortable and I loved that. I always enjoy a book that takes me so out of my comfort zone and this one did it in a way that I really enjoyed.

Source: http://125pages.com/girls-on-fire-robin-wasserman