125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

B. S., Incorporated – Jennifer Rock and Michael Voss

B. S., Incorporated – Jennifer Rock and Michael VossB. S., Incorporated by Jennifer Rock, Michael Voss
Published by Wise Ink Creative Publishing on May 17, 2016

I was not expecting much from B. S., Incorporated. I hoped it would be a cute read in the same vein as The Devil Wears Prada, where a plucky heroine saves herself from an unfriendly work environment. I did not get that, and I could not be happier about it. What I got instead was a sharp and smart tale from Jennifer Rock and Michael Voss that was equal parts humorous and thoughtful. Anna is a woman on the rise. She is following a carefully crafted career progression plan that brings her to BSI a huge copier and office supply company. As soon as she starts, things begin to change. BSI is going down a path that they might not recover from and it is up to Anna and her co-worker, the most optimistic nice guy ever,  Will to create a plan to save it.

The plot of B. S., Incorporated was a rich combination of comedy, ingenuity and sass. It all worked very well together to create a dynamic storyline. The writing of Jennifer Rock and Michael Voss was nicely detailed and it read as one voice even though there were two writers. They were able to include a wide array of emotion and heart throughout. There were a few small pacing issues where I was unsure of how much time had jumped, but nothing substantial. The world built was superb. Set in only three locations, corporate headquarters, a warehouse and a bar, it was interesting to see how they all intersected. There was a nice emotional tug wrapped through the story. I enjoyed seeing Anna grow and her path change. The characters were what set this read apart. They were an engaging bunch, from the lecherous finance guy, to the PR Manager full of inventive curses, to the snarky barmaid, all played their roles to perfection.

B. S., Incorporated is not the book I thought I would read. Expecting more of a chick-lit feel, this was instead a smart comedy with a great cast. There were a few issues, as a business person IRL I was a bit frustrated with the C level employees as they were all portrayed as bumbling fools and that just drove me crazy. That small annoyance was not enough to hamper my reading. Jennifer Rock and Michael Voss crafted quite a debut and I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

Source: http://125pages.com/b-s-incorporated-jennifer-rock-and-michael-voss