125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Even If the Sky Falls – Mia Garcia

Even If the Sky Falls – Mia GarciaEven If the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia
Published by Katherine Tegen Books on May 10, 2016

I wanted to read Even if the Sky Fallsas first glance. I have mentioned before that I am a cover judger and this one is so very pretty! Then I read the synopsis and was hooked. A YA romance, but with a very unique setup. Two kids wanting to escape for a little bit and just be free. They decide for one night to live with no names, no back stories, and no promises. As Julie and Miles explore New Orleans they face more than just upset parents when a massive storm rolls in and threatens all that they have. I was hoping that this was not going to be another disappointment as my last YA romance read with a fantastic cover was lackluster. But, yay! Mia Garcia crafted a read that I really enjoyed and the pretty cover was just a bonus.

I enjoyed the plot of Even if the Sky Falls. It was a unique look at an insta-love story that did not make me cringe. Everything made sense in the scope of the story and Julie was not “fixed” by meeting Miles. There was one tiny plot point with Julie and a hometown boy that was unneeded in the whole but it did not detract from my overall enjoyment. The writing of Mia Garcia was a pleasant surprise. She was able to combine a very diverse cast in a way where it was not screaming I’m different, it was just a part of the tale. She crafted a detailed story that really showcased the city as a character in its own right. Speaking of that, the world built was shiny and bright. The city of New Orleans was an impressive backdrop and the detail incorporated was impressive. The pacing was rapid as the main storyline takes place over one night. There were a few bumps in the timeline of the flashbacks, but not enough to damage the story. There were plenty of emotions throughout. Even though this was an instant attraction/love story, I found the emotional arc to be surprisingly complex and am glad the author used such a broad brush. The characters were, for the most part, great. I did really dislike the hometown and found his entire storyline to be a distraction to the whole. However, Julie and Miles were such strong characters that they were able to overshadow that whole useless bit well. As I mentioned before, there was a great deal of diversity in the cast and I loved that it felt so natural.

Even if the Sky Falls was a success. I often find YA romances to be too sappy sweet or too annoying. In my advanced age, I have become jaded and even though I know it is fiction still can’t get over my insta-love hate. But Mia Garcia did such a phenomenal job in crafting a tale that was an actually believable YA love story that I couldn’t help but like it. The cast was enjoyable, the tale was able to flip between vastly different emotions quickly and the majority of the characters’ actions made sense in the context of the story. Mia Garcia has thoroughly impressed me with her debut and I cannot wait to see what she has in store for her next book.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/even-if-the-sky-falls-mia-garcia