125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Hope For Garbage – Alex Tully

I received this book for free from Word Slinger Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Hope For Garbage – Alex Tully

Format: EBook
Source: Word Slinger Publicity
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads

Welcome to the cruel world of Trevor McNulty. No matter how hard he tries, this seventeen year-old just can’t get a break. Through no fault of his own, he finds himself living with his alcoholic uncle on the outskirts of Cleveland. His days are filled with garbage-picking and hanging out with his seventy year-old neighbor, who also happens to be his best friend.
One early morning while scanning the streets in a posh suburb, he meets Bea, a rebellious rich girl with problems of her own. She’s smart, cute, and a glimmer of light in his dark world. But in the midst of their budding romance, Bea’s beautiful mother enters the picture with an agenda of her own. She sets off a chain of events so shocking and destructive, Trevor's crazy life soon becomes more than he can handle. While he is desperate to save his relationship with Bea, he learns that nothing in his world can be saved unless he first saves himself.
Hope for Garbage is a story about resilience—about overcoming adversity under the most extraordinary circumstances—about never, ever, giving up hope.
Because sooner or later, everybody gets a break.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

ID-Theft-Meme-Dumpster-Diving2

Hope for Garbage was a perfectly average book. I had high hopes for it due to reviews I read and recommendations received. Unfortunately, Hope for Garbage was not the amazing book I hoped for. Now this doesn’t mean it was a bad read, it was just average. The basic story was solid but it could have been so much tighter. The big shocker that was hyped should have been super emotional but was more like, “Oh, hey this thing happened, k.” The entire tone of the book seemed that way to me. It was more telling me what was happening instead of drawing me into the story. I still enjoyed reading it but I want to feel a book not just read it. The world created was very real, the pacing, again could have been a little tighter, but for the most part was spot on. The characters, I would’ve wanted to see more fleshed out. It seemed as if they were reading lines and not feeling them. This was a super quick read (about two hours) that while not bad was not great.

◊ Favorite lines from Chapter 25 – “All of the pain seemed to melt away; his body felt light and his head clear.  The feeling of peace was incredible.  A brilliant light shined in the darkness and then Tom saw her—Maddie, as beautiful as the day he married her.  She glowed like an angel, her smile radiant.  She was waving him home.”

¤ Biggest cliché – Poor boy falls for rich girl, chaos ensues.

Δ What book have you been really hyped for and then after reading it, felt let down?

Source: http://125pages.com/hope-for-garbage-alex-tully