125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Girl in the Spider’s Web – David Lagercrantz

clever-girl

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz, Stieg Larsson
Published by Knopf on September 1, 2015
Genres: International Mystery & Crime, Mystery, Suspense, Thriller & Suspense, Thrillers
Pages: 416
Format: Print
Source: Library
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

In this adrenaline-charged thriller, genius-hacker Lisbeth Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist face a dangerous new threat and must again join forces.
Late one night, Blomkvist receives a phone call from a trusted source claiming to have information vital to the United States. The source has been in contact with a young female super hacker—a hacker resembling someone Blomkvist knows all too well. The implications are staggering.
Blomkvist, in desperate need of a scoop for Millennium, turns to Lisbeth for help. She, as usual, has her own agenda.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

4.25 Stars

The Girl in the Spider’s Web continues Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. Larsson died at the age of fifty in 2004, before any of the (now) best selling books in his Millenniumseries were published (The Girl with the Dragon TattooThe Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest). Now more than five years after the release of the final work by Larsson, Swedish author and journalist David Lagercrantz has picked up the story. I was first introduced to this series about four years ago. I was sick and had to be off of work for four days right after Christmas. My then boss brought me the first three to read while I was at home. I devoured them; so detailed and rich. The words just jumped off of the page and the story was so vibrant. I am happy to report that The Girl in the Spider’s Web continues the series flawlessly. World building and pacing are spot-on and integrate seamlessly into the world created by Larsson. Hacker-extraordinaire Lisbeth Salander is still a bad-ass and still hates (almost) everyone. While journalist Mikael Blomkvist is still a slightly tortured sad sack who puts his worth into his writing. Throw in the NSA, Russian mobsters, a child savant, murder and an alcoholic movie star, and you have one doozy of a book. The only issue I have with the Millennium series is that the Swedish names throw me for a loop and I have a hard time remembering who is who. But that is a small issue compared to the other stellar aspects of The Girl in the Spider’s Web.

Favorite lines – “They’re putting on this outraged patriotic act or whatever the hell it is we’re supposed to do. But actually they want nothing more than to meet that hacker and pit their skills against his, and for a while I thought: O.K., get over it! Maybe the damage isn’t so great after all. This is just one genius hacker who wants to show off, and maybe there’s a silver lining. I mean, we’ve already learned a lot about our vulnerability chasing after this clown. But then I began to wonder if maybe I was being conned – maybe the whole performance on my mail server was just a smokescreen, hiding something altogether different.”

Biggest cliche – “I can do anything, anything better. I can do anything better than you.”

Have you read The Girl in the Spider’s Web, or added it to your TBR?

four-stars