125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Inconceivable! – Tegan Wren

the-queen-meme-election

Inconceivable! by Tegan Wren
Published by Curiosity Quills Press on November 16, 2015
Genres: Contemporary Women, Literature & Fiction, Love & Romance, Romance, Women
Pages: 354
Format: Kindle
Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

A popular, young royal couple can't produce an heir? INCONCEIVABLE!
When Ozarks native Hatty goes “whole hog” during karaoke, she catches the eye of Prince John. He isn’t what she expects the heir to a small European nation to be: he's affable, witty, and isn’t put off by her tell-it-like-it-is demeanor. Their flirtation should be short lived, but a force stronger than fate—Hatty’s newspaper editor—assigns her to cover the royals. After spending time together, she and John soon begin dating, and Hatty finds herself making headlines instead of writing them.
But challenges loom that are even more complicated than figuring out how to mesh Hatty's journalism career with life at Belvoir Palace. Hatty and John soon find themselves embroiled in an unusual sex scandal: they can't produce an heir. Tabloids dub Hatty a “Barren-ess,” and the royals become irate. Hatty politely tells them to shove it. But beneath her confident exterior, she struggles to cope with a heartbreak that invades her most intimate moments with John. Pressured to choose between invasive medical procedures and abandoning John’s claim to the throne, the couple feels trapped until a trip to Ethiopia shows them happy endings sometimes arrive long after saying “I do.”

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

Inconceivable! was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a fun romp with a dreamy prince, a naive young American woman and some royal hi-jinks. What I got was the dreamy prince, a strong woman who speaks her mind and, of course the required tension and hi-jinks. Hatty is an American journalism student in the small European country of Toulene. She then has a meet-cute with heir to the throne Prince John and shenanigans ensue. The world building was a little shaky at the start as I was unsure of where it was supposed to be set; but once resolved was quite good. The plot and characters were well done and well detailed. I really enjoyed that Inconceivable! was not a typical cookie-cutter romance. Yes the first half was devoted to the romance, dating and family drama, but it story really came into its own in the second half. I am not sure if I have ever read a book detailing the struggle with infertility so candidly as Inconceivable! does. It painted the struggle in realistic strokes; and the pain felt by the characters was palpable. What I enjoyed most about Inconceivable! was the ending. I am a spoiler free zone, so I will just say that it was not at all what I expected in the best way. It did not wrap up the story in a neat bow but rather wrapped it in shades of reality; and for that I must applaud Tegan Wren for such an honest and heart-felt book.

Favorite lines – “I sat on our bed, staring out the floor-to-ceiling window, seeing nothing. Thinking nothing. Feeling nothing. My heart thumped inside a cocoon of numbness. I’d unpacked my emotions and reached the bottom of the suitcase. Instead of finding a secret stash of peace or comfort, I found nothing. It was empty. Barren. The only emotion that sometimes crept up on me was a sense of wonder at my inability to cry more.”

Biggest cliche – My favorite book cliche is back! “I must believe this other person over the one I love because they said something that makes me sad/mad. And I won’t bother checking with my love, I’ll just leave.”

Have you read Inconceivable!, or added it to your TBR?

four-stars