125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Witches of Cambridge – Menna van Praag

The Witches of Cambridge is a romance/woman’s fiction novel mixed with some light magic. It focuses on six witches whose lives revolve around Cambridge University. Sisters, Kat and Cosmia who both seek love in the wrong ways, Amandine and her widowed mother Heloise who want to draw truths out of others while hiding their own insecurities, lost Noa and clueless George. As their lives revolve around each other, secrets are brought to light, lives are altered and futures are changed. Each character’s life interacts with the others and chapters are told from alternating characters.

I enjoyed Menna van Praag’s tone. She can craft emotion from the most basic phrases and infuses her words with feeling. The pacing was decent, at times it dragged but always made it back to the timing at the end. The world created was fine, at times things did not seem to line up, but as with the pacing, always made it’s way back to center. The characters were where it dipped a little for me. Heloise’s story dragged, and I did not care for Cosmia. Noa was fantastic as was Amandine, and if the story had focused on them it would have been much stronger. This is the problem that can appear with an ensemble cast, the really strong characters are not given the time to shine, and weaker characters are given too much time.

The Witches of Cambridge was a sweet story that had a few standout moments and characters. I think van  Praag spread her writing too thin with an excess of characters. The book was a decent read but could have been excellent with some tightening up.The Witches of Cambridge was still a good read and I really enjoyed the paths of two of the characters. If you are looking for a nice romance light read, I would recommend The Witches of Cambridge. If you are looking for a read with a lot of fantasy elements , then this is not the read for you.

Source: http://125pages.com/witches-cambridge-menna-van-praag