125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Seven Ways We Lie – Riley Redgate

Seven Ways We Lie is such a good example of why adults like Young Adult fiction. Rich, detailed and full of emotion I was amazed that this was written by a young women who will not graduate college until two months after publication. Focusing on seven students at Paloma High School, each has their own issues they hide deep. And as the title indicates, each is indicative of one of the seven deadly sins. As a scandal burns through the school the seven are tied together in unexpected ways.

The world built was very real, social structures are in place and it is very “high school”. The pacing was quick and spot on. I was never lost and all timelines meshed. The plot was a delight, a very fresh take on a YA story. The characters and the writing set Seven Ways We Lieapart. Each chapter is narrated by a different character and the writing shifts to match each. That is a hard thing to do well for a seasoned writer and Riley Redgate does it superbly well in her debut. I particularly enjoyed one of the characters chapters as they were done in a poem-like manner and were very lyrical.

Seven Ways We Lie is a remarkable debut and Riley Redgate is an author to watch. As she grows I can only imagine how her talent will expand. If it is this good now, I greatly await seeing what the future will bring.

Source: http://125pages.com/seven-ways-lie-riley-redgate