125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

This Is Where the World Ends – Amy Zhang

I was initially worried about how I would like This Is Where the World Ends as it says in the blurb that it has a nonlinear writing style and dual narrators and that could be very very good, or very very bad. The good news, it was amazing! The way the story flowed through time was masterful and made you really sink into the story. Janie and Micah are BFF’s, who have a deep connection. This connection extends to everything but school, where they keep their friendship secret and make sure to never let anyone else in. Then Janie goes missing and Micah is left to try to figure it out. The future chapters are told from Micah’s perspective and the past from Janie’s. The nonlinear made the story that much more powerful.

As you can guess Amy Zhang crafted a remarkable tale in This Is Where the World Ends. The plot was well though out and intricate. The writing was sharp and intricate. The emotions ran high and I cried more than once during my reading. The characters were perfection and played their parts and off of each other so well. The pacing worked so well, moving back and forth should have been annoying or hard to follow but was not at all. The world building was were I did have a small issue. The characters were so well fleshed out that the world they resided in was secondary and at times the lack of a solid world pulled the interplay down a bit. But other than that issue, perfection.

I always enjoy when a book is so much more than I expected. I thought This Is Where the World Ends would be a light YA read about two best friends that discover they do love each other after all. I am glad I was wrong. This Is Where the World Ends was instead, a tale of true love and loss and what happens when your world gets shaken so hard that it may never recover. Amy Zhang has a unique voice that I truly appreciated and I will add her to my list of must read authors.

Source: http://125pages.com/world-ends-amy-zhang