125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Immortal Crown – Kieth Merrill

The Immortal Crown – Kieth MerrillThe Immortal Crown by Kieth Merrill
Published by Shadow Mountain on May 3, 2016

Why, oh why do I keep requesting sweeping epics? I know I will be confused, I know I will hate all of the description used but yet I still persist in wanting to read them. The Immortal Crown by Kieth Merrill is a true grand tale. Full of intrigue, hidden identities, plotting and magic, it covers all of the necessary bases. So was I confused? Yup. Did I like it? Yup? Will I read the next while cursing the fact that again I picked a super complicated book? Yup.

The plot of The Immortal Crown was an immense conglomeration of people, places and things. Essentially there are three main plots circling around the central idea. There is a prophecy of an immortal king rising to power in the land of Kandelarr. The king will be the child on no man and there are three options offered up. Drakkor a dark warrior, Ashar a young man in training to be a religious leader and Qhuin a slave with no past. The writing of Kieth Merrill matched the epicness of the story. Nuanced and deep, I really enjoyed it. The pacing did have some issues where there were large time jumps and it took me a bit to catch up, but it did not hamper my enjoyment. The world built was massive. There was a grand scale of locations and so much detail. I was a little bogged down with the details as I always find epics to be a bit too heavy-handed but it still worked for me. There were a plethora of emotions in this read. Deceit, longing, loss and hope abounded. There were many many characters. I was confused by who some people were and where they fit in, but once I found Qhuin’s story line I had my point of reference for everyone else.

Kieth Merrill crafted an immense world in The Immortal Crown that really did suck me in. Once I got down the three main factions I was able to navigate the story a little better than when I started. In particular, the story arc of the slave Qhuin was fantastic. I could read an entire book just on him and his journey (hint, hint). I will continue to read the Saga of Kings series knowing I will be confused and frustrated, but also knowing that I will enjoy the entire ride.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-immortal-crown-kieth-merrill